Monday, April 5, 2010

(Not So) Good Vibrations

I'm not gonna lie, I'm shaking in my boots. We West-coasters have had quite the earth stir these past few weeks and I am not a fan. I'm a weenie when it comes to earthquakes...and thunder...and roller coasters. My heart races, my eyes scan the room for any structural damage, I dart for Chris...and then the cat. I'm hypervigilant for the next few hours until I either fall asleep or get distracted by another task.

Today's earthquake felt like a waterbed; moving to and fro. Luckily there was no damage. But that wasn't the case a few weeks ago when a 4.4 magnitude hit at 4:04am (coincidence!?). We woke up to the sound of glass breaking. There I was lying in bed thinking of all the possible items that may have fallen.

Such as the countless number of vintage soda bottles.


Or this 'old-timey-sports' crew of Kessler whisky filled figurines. 


A pair of 1984 political party decanter memorabilia filled with kentucky straight bourbon whisky. 


They make great bookends, no?


Or perhaps one of the many Jesse LeDoux framed art prints (which had yet to be hung) scattered throughout our home.


Turns out, those lil asian porcelain figurines were the only catastrophe (pictured in the lower right corner of the above photo).


Thank goodness neither of them were filled with any sort of hard alcohol. We don't drink, but our decorations sure do. 

7 comments:

  1. You've got some cool stuff there.
    Not too many earthquakes here in England but I experienced a couple when I was in Japan. I found it quite thrilling but luckily they were the kind that caused no damage.
    Glad most of your stuff was spared :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh, I can't imagine an earthquake. The fear was instilled in me when I was in 7th grade and our school had earthquake drills because it was predicted that year that a massive earthquake would happen in Memphis, some 300 miles away!

    You've got some neat collectibles--I especially like the political decanters. So crazy that they have whiskey in them!

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! So scary! I'm glad that most everything was alright. You've got way too much amazing stuff for stupid mother nature to screw it up! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all of your great home decor will be safe for many years to come (especially the two residents living there!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you about the fear of earthquakes. Yesterdays was scary because of how long it was and that it was rolling. I was waiting for it to just start shaking uncontrollably and to be super jolty.

    I am so afraid of the big one... Both me and Kev had a very hard time falling asleep last night.

    I am glad this earthquake didn't knock over anymore of your breakables.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the alcoholic filled decor items came from Chris' grandfather who owned a bar many moons ago. They are pretty neat.

    @Meg: Awe, thanks :)

    @Aimee: I was wondering how the swaying felt for you and Kevin since you guys live on the 3rd floor. It must have felt ten times worse!

    ReplyDelete